Ever wondered how would it be if the start menu of Windows Xp has your name instead of START. There is a small registery hack to make this tweak.
To change name of START menu :
- Copy EXPLORER.EXE in your Windows directory ( The direectory is found in the drive where you have installed youe XP ) to another directory
Start a hex editor (use resource hacker)
- Edit EXPLORER.EXE
go to “string table” & to “37″ click on 1033
you will see “start” written on the next table
Now just replace the Start letters with any of your choice (up to 5 characters only IMPORTANT).
- Compile the script & save it.
- Rename this file as any name say explorer1.exe
copy it in your windows directory.
Open registry editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon double click “shell” &
enter name of your new explorer(explorer1 )in this case.
restart to see changes.
P.S: Remember to make up a back up copy of your registery before making this hack as there is a chance of crashing of your system.
If the crash occurs you can recover your system. To do this
- Open the TASK-MANAGER and in new task enter “regedit”
- In the resultant window undo the changes which we have made before ( i.e., renaming explorer1 to explorer again)
So Go ahead and surprise all your friends with your name as the start menu button. Happy hacking..!!