Well, there isn’t a single name or term used for apps used to scan WiFi connections. They are called as WiFi Scanner, WiFi locators, WiFi sniffers, wireless network locators, and by many more names.
In this particular post, we would be talking about iStumbler which is actually a Mac WiFi Scanner. Using this app, you can look for active WiFi connections at any place. And the fact that this free Mac app lets you machine use the strongest possible signal makes it more than a useful tool.
iStumbler not just operates on WiFi networks but it also works like charm for Bluetooth connections and Bonjour services. Here are some of its features which makes it one of must have apps for Mac.
- Scans and lists out all the available WiFi networks and Bluetooth connections in reach
- Features a monitor to keep an eye on the connected network
- Features a plugin called, Inspector which takes care of displaying all the detailed information about any connection
- A decent graphical display of connections help you analyze stuff about the networks, if you wish to
- Offers a toolbar which have Setup, Pair, and Browse buttons to facilitate your Bluetooth connections
- Forward and reverse mDNS browsing
If you are one of those people who carry their Mac around, then iStumbler is a must have app for you as it scans WiFi networks and lists out AirPort networks, Bluetooth devices, Bonjour services and Location information. One nifty tool every Mac user should have.